Friday, March 11, 2016

Step One for Minecraft Virtual Thermometer Project: Installing Explorer Hat Pro Software for RPi

I just got started with the first steps of setting up my Pimoroni Explorer Hat Pro... attaching it to the GPIO of a RPi, installing the software for the Hat, and then running the Python test file to make sure all the pins are functioning properly.

So my first step for testing out a Explorer Hat controlled Minecraft virtual thermometer is based on this tutorial I found on the Pimoroni site. I have to say I'm very intrigued by the idea of using a sensor circuit that integrates with the RPi and Python code to create a simulated thermometer in Minecraft (running locally on a RPi). I'm also a bit intimidated since I'm not exactly sure how it will all work. If all goes well with this experiment, I'd like to do a remix of this project by using a different sensor, possibly a photo cell resistor or PIR sensor in place of the temperature sensor.

Rewriting the code to interact with the new sensor could be a task that goes way beyond my capabilities, but I guess I will give it my best shot and hopefully find some coding guidance from programmers and/or forums. There is also an explorercraft library on Github that I can investigate.

Installing the Explorer Hat Pro Software on the RPi

I've got the Python code from Github copied and ready to paste into IDLE.

No comments:

Post a Comment