Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Arrival of Raspberry Pi 2 Model B

I'm eager to get Jessie installed on the Pi 2 Model B that arrived in the mail today. Once I unboxed the computer, I decided to house it in the clear Plexiglas case I had an older Pi Model B+ in. It was a breeze to extract the older board out, but being an extreme un-handyman sort, I of course had to struggle for over 30 minutes to get the new Pi 2 to fit snugly into the case. Note to self: slip the Pi board into the the bottom piece of the case first (slipping the board under the 2 plastic notches at the micro SD slot end). If you ever have difficulties getting you board to sit level and flush in the case and the top won't completely snap shut, look for those notches to pop the Pi board into first, then the top half of the case and the lid should fit perfectly.

After downloading Jessie, the newest Raspbian distro, I followed the installation instructions on raspberrypi.org. After formatting the micro SD card and installing Jessie with Win32DiskImager, I'm ready to finally boot the "micro" computer. I'm really hoping that the upgraded processor and 1 GB of RAM will actually make it a usable computer.



45 minutes (or so) later...
Jessie booted up just fine, and I'm thrilled to say it passes the "usable computer" test. Overall the Pi 2 is at least 3 to 6 times faster than the Pi Model B+. I did hit an odd bump in the upgrade road. When I opened up the terminal and put in the upgrade command, sudo apt-get upgrade I got the following error message.



I am using a 16 GB micro SD card, so I was perplexed. After Googling the error message:
E: You don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archiv, 
I found the following RaspberryPi.org forum post to get me out of the jam. Thanks to the simple fix of opening preferences, then Raspberry Pi Configuration control panel and choosing "Expand File System", I was finally able (after a reboot) to execute the massive upgrade download.




The terminal is now speedily scrolling away with the upgrades. I hope I can eventually start tinkering with the Pi 2 before dinner. Patience is a key, mandatory character trait for RPi users.

20 minutes later...
One last bit of house cleaning/maintenance was needed. I noticed in the terminal that "The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required: libdrm-freedrenol libdrm-nouveau2 libdrm-radeon1 libelfi libllvm3.5  Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.

Finally ready to explore the Pi 2.



No comments:

Post a Comment