Friday, February 5, 2016

Mobile Coding Apps for Learning Programming On the Move

I installed 3 apps on my Samsung Galaxy Note phone, and I have to admit that I'm very excited to have some great code learning tools to access on-the-go. So far I've pretty much relied on desktop and laptop applications to start learning the basics of code languages. The only mobile app I've used up until recently was Code Academy on my iPad... which I found helpful, but lacking a bit on the interactive end of things. The three new mobile apps for Android devices I have begun exploring are SoloLearn - Learn Java, QPython, and Lightbot: Programming Puzzles. Even if you don't have a very powerful, newly released smart phone, I don't think any of the apps have very demanding system requirements to run well. SoloLearn has free iOS and Android apps, plus a website. QPython, also free, appears to be just for Android devices, and Lighbot: Progamming Puzzles is available at a small price for iOS, Android, Kindle, and has applications for Windows and Mac computers.

Lightbot: Programming Apps & Applications


Lightbot impressed me. I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised by design of the app. The sounds, simple 3D graphics, and overall playing experience were engaging. I didn't feel like I was bored or frustrated with playing an oversimplified, rudimentary game. The intensity of the puzzle challenges quickly elevated in difficulty when I reached the last few puzzles in level one. I'm halfway through the "Procedures" section, and the app has successfully taught me the concept of  nesting code procedures to more effectively cope with repeated tasks. Overall with producing a gaming/puzzle app that also incorporates a very solid introduction to some basic coding concepts: procedures, overloading, loops, and conditionals.

On my Galaxy Note 4: Lightbot: Programming App - "Procedures" Level


If you want to give these apps a test drive, I recommend you start with Lightbot to get an entertaining and gratifying intro to coding concepts without having to deal with grasping the text-based code that runs the puzzles.

When you feel ready to get a introductory summary to how the different coding languages function and are used for different programming tasks, start moving through the SoloLearn apps and/or courses. I truly enjoyed reading about concrete information about the basic functions of Java for web design. The SoloLearn app clearly defined the different roles that HTML, CSS, and Java play within web development and coding for interactive websites.

SoloLearn Java Course for Android - Mini-lesson then Quiz

QPython was the most interactive and intriguing of the three apps I installed today. The app lets you immediately start editing lines of code within very simple scripts (similar to "Hello World"). I am very eager to keep moving forward into the lessons this app has to offer. The extremely short and concise scripts fit nicely on smart phone screens and are not overwhelming for newbies. A great introduction to text-based coding where you can load and run the script right on your phone.




To sum up my experience with these three apps, I found that they all blended together an amalgamation of great introductory learning for programming languages. All three apps take a very different approach to easing a text-coding newbie like myself into actively using Java and Python.

No comments:

Post a Comment