Saturday, January 23, 2016

CS First & Scratch.MIT.edu

I have to admit that I had a rough start with getting into the workflow of logging into CS First and then scratch.mit.edu. I found it to be very awkward to jump back and forth between the two sites using my browser's tabs. I also wasn't totally clear on when I technically had completed an activity. At first, I assumed that I would be done with an activity by finishing my scratch remix and then sharing it... then I would continue with the next CS First activity. Possibly I didn't take the time to carefully listen to the instructions in the CS videos.

I eventually figured out that once I'd completed my scratch remix, I needed to return to CS First to answer the wrap up quiz questions before I could advance to the next activity. So... I was very happy to feel my frustration turn to exhilaration when I began absorbing the racetrack activity's interfacing with key commands on my computer's keyboard. I quickly began exploring the various controller options to manipulate the sprites within the racetrack scene. I had even more fun and gratification with designing a very simplistic game in the 3rd activity, recording sound effects and using the sensing color code blocks. I feel that when I made the obstacle object rotate with the "forever" bracket, I had an ah-ha moment where I realized how many times I've seen this sort of basic programming trick used in so many video games... creating a non-static maze... or moving target... etc. to add a level of difficulty to a game. I hope to make it through at least another 3 activities in the next few weeks. Overall a very effective intro to computational thinking. The element of tying keyboard and mouse controls into the design process really helped keep me totally engaged.

No comments:

Post a Comment