Friday, January 29, 2016

Dog-Panda Grid-Maze of Horror



Not a fun experience! My right-brain personality absolutely freaked out while attempting to finish the dog (or is it a panda?) grid-coding challenge of putting on my computational thinking cap and hashing it out, literally, step-by-step, graph line-by-graph line. I couldn't suppress the urge to make my coding guide slightly graphically pleasing, yet I had a creeping dread that I was totally missing the point of spotting the obvious solution to efficiently writing out the code. I wanted to make sure I only worked digitally, without printing out the grid picture... so much for an unplugged approach. At first, I  felt confident that I could keep track of my coding track, but at every block of the journey, my mind wandered and lost track of which row or column I was currently on. "Should I arrange my coding "steps" as individual commands or create shorthand style cluster-commands?" After having to divert my glance over to the text-box where I was writing the code,  I sheepishly redirected my gaze back over to the gridline maze, and my eyes miserably failed to relocate the last block I'd finished coding.

I finally succumbed to the obvious need to print out the confounding DOG-GRID picture so I could have the comforting tactile experience to running a pencil along my coding path to mark my progression. It helped so much, and I was able to wrap it up in about a half hour. I find it odd that I feel much more comfortable with block-coding and text-based coding. This (what I erroneously assumed was a simplistic) challenge discombobulated me. I hope I don't see this dog-face-grid-maze in my nightmares tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment